Looking for High Potassium sources? Read this article to know everything about Foods High In Potassium ,Health Benefits & Consuming.
What is Potassium?
Table Of Content:
Potassium is an important nutrient that maintains a balance of fluids and electrolytes inside the body. This mineral also helps in healthy skeletal contraction, gastrointestinal functions, and cardiac & health tissue development. Optimum potassium levels helps in decreasing risks associated with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, kidney stones, cardiac arrest, and other cardiovascular diseases.
In the following article you will find all the information about foods high in potassium and its benefits.
Rich Sources of High Potassium
It is very important to have a balanced diet that includes foods rich in potassium. Like other minerals, potassium can be sourced from:
- Aquatic Species
Health Benefits of Potassium
Potassium being an essential mineral comes with the following benefits:
- Lower Blood Sugar: Any decrease in potassium intake can lead to drop in the blood sugar levels and result in headache, weakness, constant sweating, nervousness, and trembling. Hence, a diabetic patient has to ensure proper potassium levels are maintained.
- Prevents Muscle Cramps: Cramps are a common sign of low potassium in the blood, it can lead to hypokalemia. Consuming a banana every day can easily prevent cramps.
- Maintains Electrical Conductivity in Brain: Potassium is responsible for carrying out high brain functions such as learning and memory. Serious health problems like epilepsy are often related to potassium deficiency.
- Maintains Optimal Fluid Balance: Different cells within the body need a specific kind of water balance to function efficiently. Potassium helps in regulating the balance within these cells.
- Improves bone health and muscle tissue growth: Characteristics of Potassium makes it capable of neutralizing different acids across the body. This helps in preserving calcium and making it available for improving bone strength and durability.
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels & blood pressure: Potassium helps in reversing the role of sodium for unbalancing normal blood pressure.
- Protect against heart and kidney disorders: Potassium regulates different functions of metabolism to ensure kidney and heart works smoothly. Additionally, it also assists the kidney in removing waste through the process of excretion.
- Boosts Nervous system: Presence of high electrolytes facilitate in boosting the efficiency of nerve reflexes responsible for transmitting messages from one body part to the other.
How Much Potassium Should I Take?
The following table illustrates the RDA for potassium for both men and women:
|Age||RDA (per day)|
|0-6 months||400 mg|
|7-12 months||700 mg|
|1-3 years||3,000 mg|
|4-8 years||3,800 mg|
|9-13 years||4,500 mg|
|13 and above||4,700 mg|
*The RDA for a lactating or a pregnant women is 5,100 mg/day.
What Foods Are High In Potassium?
Check Out The Top 22 Potassium List:
|Food||Milligrams per serving||Percent Daily Value (DV)|
Vegetables High in Potassium
|Beet Greens||1309 mg||37%|
|Lima Beans||969 mg||28%|
|Brussels Sprouts||342 mg||10%|
Fruits High in Potassium
|Passion Fruit||821 mg||23%|
|Kiwi Fruit||588 mg||17%|
|Cantaloupe Melon||177 mg||14%|
|White Beans||1004 mg||29%|
|Dried Apricots||576 mg||22%|
|Baked Acorn Squash||896 mg||25%|
|Coconut Water||600 mg||17%|
Non-Vegetarian Foods High In Potassium
|Fish (Salmon)||534 mg||15%|
Vegetables Rich In Potassium
1) Spinach: Spinach tightens the muscle filaments and offers relaxation at proper intervals. A green leafy vegetables high in potassium, it is also a rich source of vitamins and minerals, besides being fat free and cholesterol free.
2) Baked Potatoes: A baked potato (with skin) is one of those vegetables with high potassium levels that can supply 20% DV needed by the body. It is also a source of vitamin C ,vitamin B ,iron, dietary fiber and protein.
3) Mushrooms: Surprisingly, mushrooms and bananas offer the same amount of potassium levels. Regular consumption not only offers the benefits of this mineral but are ingredients for some mouth-watering dishes too.
4) Beet Greens: An excellent source of fiber, Beet Greens has the characteristics of containing fat soluble vitamins too. Besides Potassium, it includes 4 other beneficial minerals i.e. copper, magnesium, calcium, and manganese.
5) Yam: Belonging to the lily family, it is available in ivory, yellow, and purple colors. They are equally good source of fiber and have the ability of lowering risks associated with chronic diseases and maintaining blood sugar levels.
6) Lima Beans: Both cooked and uncooked versions can be rich sources of potassium. Lima Beans are known to facilitate weight loss programs and help in balancing blood sugar levels.
7) Brussels Sprouts: Known for its complicated and extensive detox support, Brussels Sprouts contains glucosinolates. The enzyme system inside the cells require detoxification of the cancer causing substances that can easily be activated due to compounds like glucosinolates.
Other likely options for vegetables that are high dietary sources of potassium are:
|Globe Artichokes||Snap Beans||Cauliflower|
Fruits Rich in Potassium
8) Bananas: It is a very good source of potassium and comes with several essential minerals that help in maintaining normal heart functions and blood pressure levels. It is also known to offer protection against atherosclerosis.
9) Avocados: Grown in popularity over the years, Avocados are high potassium fruits that contain both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. They can be perfect when you are undergoing a weight loss program.
10) Guavas: Besides being high source of potassium, Guavas are low in calories and fats too. Experts claim that the fruit contains cancer protection properties and can fight aging and several infections.
11) Passion Fruit: One of those fruits high in potassium and fiber, it comes with several other antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. The fruit is believed to protect colon mucosa and decrease the exposure time to toxic substances inside the colon. This wipes off the cancer causing toxic substances. It is also capable of regulating the heart rate and blood pressure.
12) Kiwifruit: An excellent source of polyphenols, vitamin C and potassium, Kiwifruit protects the heart and blood vessels. It has primary water-soluble antioxidants that neutralizes the free radicals that may cause damage to the cells and lead to cancer. Other than that, it has the properties of controlling blood sugar levels and supporting a strong cardiovascular and colon health.
13) Cantaloupe Melon: It has high water content that combats heat and reduces the chance of dehydration. It contains zeaxanthin that filters out harmful blue ray lights and offer protection to the eye. The presence of potassium, fiber, and vitamin C serves as a perfect combination to support heart health, control blood pressure, and take very good care of the skin.
14) Pomegranate: Inclusion of potassium-rich foods such as pomegranates can lower the risks associated with several serious medical problems. Drinking its juice can also lessen kidney dialysis problems besides lowering the levels of oxidative stress, blood pressure levels, improving lipid profile, and reducing inflammation.
There are a number of other fruits that are natural sources of high potassium and they include:
Other Foods Rich In Potassium
15) White Beans: A good potassium rich food when on a weight loss program, white beans are very low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol. Other than that, it is also a very rich source for proteins, folate, magnesium, and dietary fiber.
16) Dried Apricots: These are excellent sources of potassium and other nutrients that includes fiber and antioxidant carotenoids. The dietary potassium helps in maintaining required blood pressure levels and can fight the risks of hypertension.
17) Baked Acorn Squash: Due to the high amount of potassium in baked acorn squash, it has the ability of regulating blood pressure. Acting as a vasodilator, it relaxes the blood vessels as well as the arteries. Hence, consuming this can help in reducing stress levels and regulating the fluid balance in tissues and cells. It also boosts metabolic efficiency while ensuring the cellular and enzymatic pathways are functioning properly.
18) Yogurt: Yogurt is very low in fat and is probably the most nutritious and easily available snacks around. Coupled with several other essential nutrients, potassium content in Yogurt helps in maintaining several biological processes like increasing metabolism, regulating blood pressure and maintaining bone health.
19) Milk: Generally known to be a high source of calcium, milk also comes with high potassium content and is fortified with Vitamin D. Compounded together, these vitamins and minerals help in developing strong bones and teeth. It can even help in prevention of osteoporosis.
20) Coconut Water: Potassium is the primary nutrient in coconut water that makes it a highly electrolyte beverage. These electrolytes are essential for maintaining blood volumes, strong heart health, and prevent dehydration. Regular drinking of coconut water can help in reducing stress levels, fatigue and offer muscle relaxation.
High Potassium Foods for Non-Vegetarians
21) Fish (Salmon): Largely regarded to be a highly nutritious non-vegetarian meal, Salmon contains high levels of Omega 3. It also contains 14% potassium which can aide in developing strong joints & Bones, repair neurological problems due to ageing, prevent ADHD in children, and reduce systematic inflammation in the heart. It is also perfect for maintaining a healthy skin and improving eyesight.
22) Chicken: Besides being high in proteins, it stores considerable amount of potassium as well. Chicken has the potential of improving the nervous system, preventing migraine, controlling cholesterol levels, and aiding to treat diabetes.
- ALL Foods High In Iron List For Vegetarians And Non-Vegetarians
- List of Foods High in Calcium | Dairy/Non-Dairy, Fruits, Veggies & More
- 19 Amazing Foods High In Fiber – Fruits ,Vegetables ,Grains & MORE!
- List of Top 17 Foods High in Magnesium : Vegetables ,Fruits & More
- List of 26 High Vitamin Foods – MUST KNOW Vitamins ,Benefits & More