Table Of Content:
Looking for High Vitamin C sources? Read this article to know everything about Foods High In Vitamin C ,Health Benefits & Consuming.
What is Vitamin C ?
Vitamin C is a general term for ascorbic acid or L-ascorbate. This vitamin contributes towards prevention of scurvy and also acts as an antioxidant. It helps in improvement of tissues, muscles and teeth as well. This water soluble vitamin absorbs iron, even supports healthy skin and maintains blood vessels. In addition, it is even important in production of collagen.
How Much Should I Consume?
Recommended Daily Allowance For Vitamin C
RDA For Vitamin C
|0-6 months||40 mg||40 mg|
|7-12 months||50 mg||50 mg|
|1-3 years||15 mg||15 mg|
|4-8 years||25 mg||25 mg|
|14-18 years||75 mg||65 mg|
|Above 18 years||90 mg||75 mg|
Benefits of Vitamin C Rich Foods
- Prevents bleeding of gums: Adequate Vitamin C intake has been a preferred way to maintain healthy gums. People suffering from gum problems and decays are often recommended to have more of citrus fruits.
- Helps in burning fat: Dieticians often recommend eating foods that are good sources of Vitamin C for boosting metabolism and helps in burning fat. It largely contributes in burning belly fat. Deficiency of vitamin C may even promote weight gain and increase the risks of high blood pressure.
- Promotes tissue healing: Being highly packed with other enzymes, vitamin C acts as an effective antioxidant in supporting wound healing and tissue repair. This vitamin is very important when undergoing intense workouts, as it helps in repairing the injured muscles in addition to proteins.
- Helps in curing cold and flu: Although studies have shown variable results, but generally it has been concluded that, vitamin C contributes partly in treating cold and flu. Moreover, it supports healthy joints, teeth, bones and boosts your immune system.
- Good for skin: Foods that contain Vitamin C are great for treating scars and it is known to be a homemade treatment for your skin problems. Generally, citrus fruits are recommended to treat pigmentation, acne and pimple problems. Due to its high anti-oxidant properties, Vitamin C helps in reducing wrinkles and keeps your skin hydrated.
List of Foods High In Vitamin C
Below is a list of popular foods high in Vitamin C:
|Foods||Milligrams Per Serving||%DV (Percent Daily Value)|
|Vegetables High in Vitamin C (100g)|
|Brussels sprouts||85 mg||125%|
|Bell peppers||183.5 mg||306%|
|Fruits High in Vitamin C (100g)|
|Black currant||181 mg||301%|
|Herbs Rich in Vitamin C (100g)|
|Garden Cress||69 mg||115%|
|Other Sources of Vitamin C (100g)|
|Banana peppers||102.5 mg||171%|
|Fortified cereal||239.7 mg||400%|
|Cayenne peppers||76.4 mg||127.30%|
21 High Vitamin C Foods List
Vegetables High Vitamin C
1) Broccoli: Apart from being an amazing anti-oxidant, broccoli contains Vitamin C. It delivers shine to your skin, helps in building a healthy immune system and boosts your metabolism. The verdant veggie is also a powerhouse of minerals and vitamins.
2) Cauliflower: Rich in Vitamin C, Cauliflower is a healthy option to increase your metabolism and build healthy bones. Along with being rich in calcium, it is a good source of vitamin C and this helps in building healthy teeth and joints.
3) Brussels sprouts: Being a vegetable very high in Vitamin C, it helps in controlling blood pressure and strokes. They are even good for skin.
4) Bell peppers: A popular high Vitamin C food it also comes with essential nutrients. They even include rich amount of several enzymes. Collectively they help in reducing inflammation and adds luster to your skin.
5) Kale: Kale is a dark green colored vegetables rich in Vitamin C. Filled with powerful anti-oxidants, it supports cardiovascular health and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
6) Tomatoes: Benefits of tomatoes include better eyesight and enhanced immunity levels. Moreover it supplies relief from digestion, inflammation and premature aging.
Fruits High in Vitamin C
7) Strawberries: Strawberries are recognized to be ‘The queen of fruits’ as they are cholesterol free fruits high in Vitamin C and good antioxidants. These berries help in preventing gum bleeding, provides strength to the bone and promotes eye health.
8) Kiwi: Kiwi is an excellent option among the Vitamin C rich fruits. Apart from being beneficial to your skin, kiwi promotes bone health, prevents strokes and has rich anti-aging properties.
9) Papaya: Papaya is high in vitamin C content. It can be used in several ways to eat. It reduces inflammation and is known for its anti-aging properties. Moreover, the enzyme papain present in the food makes it beneficial for the eye and skin health.
10) Black currant: Highly fibrous food rich in vitamin C, the fruit helps in reducing inflammation and promotes better bone health and eye sight. This tasty fruit also helps to provide an improved kidney health.
11) Mangoes: Mango clears the skin, boosts immunity and reduces cholesterol levels. Most importantly, it focuses in strengthening of bones, teeth and alkalizes your whole system. Being a good source of Vitamin C, it is one of the best recommended foods.
12) Amalaki: This fruit is exclusively beneficial for your hair, skin and teeth health. However, its oil, powder and merely as a fruit offers varied properties that helps tumbling inflammation and provides good vision.
13) Oranges: Orange can be a vital part of your diet. One cannot ignore the health benefits of Vitamin C in orange, as it offers protection from diseases such as cancer, inflammation and skin problems.
14) Pineapples: Pineapples are majorly considered to be beneficial in wound healing and providing effective skin care. Along with that, it helps in building immunity and treating eye problems.
Herbs High in Vitamin C
15) Parsley: Parsley is an extravagant source of vitamin C and vitamin K. It is quite effective in burning fat and fastening your metabolism. Moreover, its antioxidant properties help in preventing inflammation and makes it a remarkable source for protection against Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).
16) Dried basil: Dried basil helps in reducing stress and its antioxidant properties makes it an anti-bacterial ingredient that helps in reducing infection. Being highly rich in vitamin C, it helps in treating inflammation and cancer.
17) Garden cress: Apart from being an excellent source of folic acid, they are rich in Vitamin C too. It helps in improving the strength and immunity levels while offering a range of cardiovascular benefits making it a healthy food choice for lactating women.
Other Sources of Vitamin C
18) Saffron: Saffron extract helps in reducing depression and enhances your mood. The vitamin C rich food helps in improving respiratory diseases and optimizes your digestive system. Primarily, it helps in curing cough and cold, its antioxidant properties makes it a magical ingredient for skin as well.
19) Banana peppers: Banana peppers help in curing cough and cold. They feature among the foods high in Vitamin C and vitamin A. These peppers help in strengthening blood vessels and can boost your immune system.
20) Fortified cereals: Bran cereals stimulate cardiovascular health due to its high vitamin C content. Mostly, it helps in supplying better immunity, bone strength and burns fat.
21) Cayenne peppers: Cayenne peppers are a magical source for skin and rheumatoid arthritis. Along with that, these can even help in promoting bone health and neutralize acidity.
Non-Vegetarian Sources Of Vitamin C
Surprisingly, there are no non-vegetarian sources for vitamin C.