Looking for High Omega 3 sources? Read this article to know everything about Foods high in omega 3 ,Health Benefits & Consuming.
What is Omega 3?
Table Of Content:
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential healthy fats procured from various food sources. These nutritious fats provide help in improving the digestive system, proper functioning of nervous system and offers protection to the skin. It is a class of fatty acid that helps in lowering the level of cholesterol and promises for a better immunity. They are considered to be a key family of polyunsaturated fats.
Foods High in Omega 3
Sources of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Few foods contain omega 3 naturally. It is very important to have a balanced diet that includes foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Like other nutrients, omega 3 can be sourced from:
- Non vegetarian sources
- Nuts and seeds
- Sea foods
How Much Omega 3 Acid Should I Consume?
The RDA for Omega 3 Acids are as follows:
|0-6 months||0.5 g||0.5 g|
|7-12 months||0.5 g||0.5 g|
|1-3 years||0.7 g||0.7 g|
|4-8 years||0.9 g||0.9 g|
|9-13 years||1.2 g||1.0 g|
|14 years and above||1.6 g||1.1 g|
- Pregnant and lactating women are advised to consume at least 1.4g per day.
Health Benefits of Consuming Foods High In Omega 3
- Acts as an anti-depressor: Depression is among the most common mental disorders around the world. Anxiety on the other hand is also a similar disorder that results due to persistent nervousness and worry. EPA, one of the types of omega 3 is the best source for fighting depression.
- Improves eye health: DHA, a kind of omega-3, is a key structural component of the retina and brain. Along with that, studies have shown that, regular intake of omega 3 helps in treating macular degeneration that further improves vision blindness and impairment.
- Promotes brain health during pregnancy: Omega-3 fatty acids are fundamental for a better brain growth and improvement in children. DHA comprises of 40% of the total polyunsaturated fatty acids inside the brain and 60% in the retina. Therefore, it’s no wonder that infants provided with a DHA-stimulated formula usually have better vision than kids fed food without the formula.
- Improves heart disease: Strokes and Heart attacks are one of the world’s major causes of death. Years ago, scientists have observed that fish-eating people had very low chances of heart diseases. It was later observed to be the result of regular Omega-3 consumption.
- Reduces symptoms of several diseases: It has been found that omega-3 consumption can actually diminish the causes of ADHD in children. In addition to this, it can reduce the insulin resistance and improves heart disease risks in people with metabolic syndrome.
- Fights inflammation: We need it to battle infections and repair injury in the body. These fatty acids could reduce the making of substances and molecules linked to inflammation, like inflammatory eicosanoids and cytokines. Along with this, omega-3 could reduce the chronic inflammation that can support to various other lethal diseases.
- Helps prevent cancer: Omega-3s have long been claimed to lessen the risk of certain cancers. Surprisingly, people who have omega 3 rich diet lower the risk of colon cancer for about 55%. Additionally, these fatty acids consumption has been linked to a concentrated risk of prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
- Improves bone health: Omega 3 fatty acids are known for growth and development of your body. They even help in maintaining bone health and joints precisely.
What Foods Are High In Omega 3 ?
|Foods High in Omega 3 List||Milligrams/ Serving|
Vegetable High In Omega
(per 100 g)
|Kidney Beans||200 mg|
|Fruits (per 100 g)|
Seeds & Nuts High In Omega 3
|Flaxseeds (per 2 tbsp)||3449 mg|
|Peanuts (per 2 tbsp)||32 mg|
|Brazil Nuts||288 mg|
Other Sources High In Omega 3
|Walnut Oil (per tbsp)||1456 mg|
|Tofu (per 100 g)||600 mg|
|Olive Oil (per tbsp)||138 mg|
Non vegetarian sources
|Salmons (per 3 ounce)||3704 mg|
|Sardines (per 3 ounce)||3611 mg|
|Eggs Yolk (half cup)||240 mg|
|Lamb (per 100gm)||526 mg|
|Herrings (per 3 ounce)||1885 mg|
|Tuna (per 3 ounce)||1414 mg|
|Anchovies (per 2 ounce)||951 mg|
Vegetables High In Omega 3
1) Spinach: This iron rich green leafy vegetable is even a good source of omega 3 fatty acids that helps in lowering bad cholesterol and reduces the risk of cancer as well. In addition, consumption of this food provides resistance from chronic diseases and promotes healthier skin.Spinach omega 3: 371 mg per 100 g
2) Broccoli: It is a powerhouse of omega 3 fatty acid which helps in reducing the level of cholesterol and also supports better immunity. Along with that, it reduces the risk of heart disorders and makes one feel energetic and lively.Broccoli omega 3: 151 mg per 100 g
3) Avocados: This green fruit is a healthy source of omega 3s. Due to the presence of antioxidants and healthy fats, Avocados contribute to a healthier diet.
4) Kidney Beans: High in Omega 3 Acids, they are also known to be a rich source of protein. They help in stimulating one’s mood, acts as an anti-depressor and boosts your heart health.Kidney beans omega 3: 200 mg per 100 g
Fruits High In Omega 3
5) Mangoes: The king of fruits is no less a rich source of omega 3. This delicious fruit supports better immunity as well as a healthy heart. Along with this, it resists the risk of cancer to a certain level.Mango omega 3: 77 mg per 100 g
6) Blueberries: Apart from being succulent and favorite, this exotic fruit is rich in antioxidants and is even a healthier source of the good fats. Berries are even known for its anti-depressing property and it acts as a great mood stimulator.Bluberries omega 3: 174 mg per 100 g
Seeds & Nuts High In Omega 3
7) Flaxseed: It is recommended to add toppings of flaxseeds in your breakfast, as they promote fat loss. In addition to this, they even support cardiovascular health.Flax seeds omega 3: 3449 mg per 2 tbsp
8) Peanuts: Peanuts are considered to be a powerhouse of oils and proteins. Being a rich source of Omega 3 acids, it supports tissue growth and repair injured tissues.Peanuts omega 3: 32 mg per 2 tbsp
9) Brazil Nuts: Brazil nuts can help in reducing the risk of cancer, besides being high in nutritional values.Omega 3 in brazil nuts: 288 mg
10) Almonds: Almonds are a great source for promoting healthy heart and skin, besides being a great antioxidant for protection against cells that weakens your immune system.Almonds
Other Sources High In Omega 3
11) Walnut Oil: Lists at top in the list of high omega 3 vegetarian sources, it is mostly used to give massage to your scalp. It moisturizes your hair and gives you a soothing effect. Moreover, it is known for its beauty benefits and even boosts the nervous system.Walnut oil omega 3: 1456 mg per 1 tbsp
12) Tofu: Tofu is mostly known to be a rich source of calcium and other essential minerals required by the body. In addition to it, tofu is an excellent source of omega 3 as well that helps in reducing cholesterol levels and promotes growth and development of the body.Omega 3 in tofu: 600 mg per 100 g
13) Olive oil: Olive oil is a rich source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. It is used for cooking and contains a long list of beneficial nutrients. Regular inclusion in your diet can help in a better cardiovascular health and provide a range of skin and hair benefits.Olive oil omega 3: 138 mg per 1 tbsp
Non-Vegetarian Foods High In Omega 3
14) Salmons: They are a pretty good seafood that is high Omega 3 fatty acid and can be great for improving brain functioning and promoting a better nervous system. They are also known to help in improving cardiovascular health and fighting depression.Salmon omega 3: 3704 mg per 3 ounce
15) Sardines: They are known for their high omega 3 content and its nutritive value is unbelievably high. It helps in lowering your blood pressure and changes your mood in no time.Sardines omega 3: 3611 mg per 3 ounce
16) Eggs: Egg whites are considered to be natural multivitamin, as they are bulked with protein, vitamins and other essential fatty acids. It has great medicinal properties and beauty benefits too. They provide nourishment to your hair and skin and can reduce the risk of cancer.Eggs yolk omega 3: 240 mg per 1/2 cup
17) Lamb: Apart from being a great source of protein, the food is even known for its omega 3 content. The meat helps in curing heart diseases and combats cancer.Omega 3 in lamb: 526 mg per 100 g
18) Herrings: Herrings and sardines are very rich sources of omega 3. They help in normalizing the brain development and reducing blood pressure levels. Along with that, the seafood is treasured with antioxidants that help in controlling mood swings and delivers a better immunity.Herring omega 3: 1885 mg per 3 ounce
19) Tuna: Canned Tuna is incredibly a good source of omega 3. Moreover, they focus on the strengthening your nervous and cardiac health besides helping to reducing cholesterol levels.Tuna omega 3: 1414 mg per 3 ounce
20) Anchovies: They are considered to be the richest non vegetarian source of these fatty acids. Due to this, it is known to reduce the cholesterol levels and supports a strong cardiovascular system.Anchovies omega 3: 951 mg per 2 ounce