Looking for High Fiber sources? Read this article to know everything about Foods High In Fiber ,Health Benefits & Consuming.
What is Fiber?
Table Of Content:
Fiber is a vital nutrient that plays a major role in proper food digestion and hunger satisfaction. Its deficiency often gives rise to problems like hemorrhoids, constipation, etc. Adequate consumption can improve the functioning of the digestive tracts and assist in the removal of excess food and organic wastes through the gut.
High Fiber Foods Sources
The main sources of this rich nutrient include:
- Legumes and beans
- Nuts and seeds
- Baked Goods
Health Benefits of High in Fiber Foods
The major benefits of consuming fiber rich foods mainly include:
- Improve heart health: Consumption of fiber-rich foods significantly reduces the level of bad cholesterol or LDL inside the heart. It also minimizes the risk of stroke, and other heart ailments. Researchers have found that dietary fiber reduce the scope of heart disease by around 40%.
- Provide healthy skin: High fiber diet which is based on the psyllium husk plays a major role in the removal of fungus and yeast from the body. This is done without letting them to affect the condition of the skin in the form of rashes or acne. As a result, the skin remains healthy and clean.
- Prevent kidney stones and gallstones: Intake of good sources of fiber eliminates the risk of kidney stones and gallstones as it helps to regulate the level of blood sugar. At the same time, it enables the body to flush out toxic components.
- Maintain a stable digestive health: Dietary fiber improves the functioning of digestive tracts to ensure smooth absorption of the food inside the stomach. It also plays a crucial role in removal of additional food and other biological wastes in the form of roughage. It can also significantly reduce the chance of ulcers, GERD or gastro esophageal reflux disorder, diverticulitis and relief from IBS.
- Prevent the occurrence of cancer: Recent scientific studies have indicated that a rich dietary blend of fiber can prevent colorectal cancer as well as gastro-intestinal cancer that affect the normal digestive activities.
- Weight management and reduction: Foods that are good sources of fiber help in shedding of excess weight. It stays inside the stomach for a long time in comparison to other foods which ultimately satiates the feeling of hunger and limits people from over-eating.
- Lower the risk of diabetes: High soluble fiber foods reduces the pace of sugar absorption which ultimately minimizes the chance of diabetes. It accelerates the process of burning down sugar through ensuring normal secretion of insulin.
How much fiber should I take?
The RDA or prescribed intake of fiber in male and female is as follows:
RDA for a pregnant or lactating women from 14 to 50 years is 28 grams and 29 grams respectively.
Top 19 List of High Fiber Foods
|Food||Grams per serving||Percent Daily Value (DV)|
|High Fiber Vegetables (100 grams each)|
What vegetables are high in fiber ?
|Fruits High In Fiber (100 grams each)|
What fruits are high in fiber ?
|Others Best Fiber Foods|
High Fiber Vegetables
1) Cauliflower: Cauliflower is a chief source of dietary fiber that supports a healthy digestive system. It is also rich in other nutrients like phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc. Its inclusion in regular diet can also fight cancer, boost heart health, assist brain development, etc.How much fiber in cauliflower? The answer is 2.3 per 100 Grams!
2) Carrot: It is another high fiber food which is also packed with other vital elements like manganese, copper, iron, folate etc. It prevents heart diseases by improving the cholesterol level. It also improves the eyesight, prevent diabetes, and other ailments.Do carrots have fiber? The answer is 3 per 100 Grams!
3) Artichokes: Although this vegetable is a rich source of fiber, it also contains other essential minerals and vitamins. It is quite useful in cancer prevention, restoring heart health, stabilizing blood pressure, and elevate the cognitive functions of the brain.How much fiber in artichoke hearts? The answer is 8.6 per 100 Grams!
4) Turnips: It comes with high fiber concentration. Regular consumption can aide in treating asthma, cancer, obesity and boost the level of immunity in the body. The juice of this vegetable eliminates body odor.
5) Romaine Lettuce: Only 5 grams of fiber i.e. a cup of Romaine Lettuce adds 8 calories to your body. Known to reduce the concentration of fat and sugar, it has the ability of treating brain and spinal cord defects during the time of birth by above 70%.
6) Spinach: Cooked spinach usually comes with 4 gm of fiber and it helps to gain 41 calories per cup. It can minimize the risks associated with common heart ailments, and intestinal inflammation.
7) Kale: Among vegetables high in fiber, Kale is probably boosts the appearance and health of the skin. Kale also prevents age-related optical disorders and can improve bone health.Does kale have fiber ? Yes! 3.6 per 100 Grams!
Other Vegetables Rich In Fiber
|Green Peas||Lima Beans||Parsnips|
|Brussels Sprouts||Broccoli||Sweet Potato|
|Collard Greens||Snap Beans||Sweet Corn|
Fruits High in Fiber
8) Avocado: It can either be eaten raw or with foods like guacamole. It contains elements like copper, potassium, etc. Other than that, it minimizes the risk of several cardiovascular diseases, prevents arthritis besides lowering the levels of triglyceride and cholesterol.How much fiber in avocado ? The answer is 6.7 per 100 Grams!
9) Orange: It is a sweet delicious fruit that is also a rich source of fiber. Orange Juice has the ability of reducing the chance of kidney stone formation and offer relief from constipation while also preventing macular degeneration. The presence of flavonoid hesperidin can regulate blood pressure too.Do oranges have fiber ? YES! The answer is 2.4 per 100 Grams!
10) Grapefruit: Besides being a high concentration fiber food, it contains bioflavonoids and other useful nutritional elements. Regular consumption can prevent tumor formation, heart ailments, and cancer. Moreover, it satiates hunger and dispels general tiredness.How many grams of fiber in a grapefruit? The answer is 1.6 per 100 Grams!
11) Banana: It is a popular food that comes with the sufficient fiber to improve the digestive health and reduce the tendency of over-eating. Unripe bananas help to improve the insulin sensitivity and prevent type 2 diabetes.Do bananas have fiber? The answer is 2.6 per 100 Grams!
12) Raspberries: It is one of the popular fruits rich in fiber with the permissible level of sugar. It prevents DNA damage of the cells, promotes weight loss, and improves eye vision with positive impacts on blood formation and immunity.How much fiber in raspberries ? The answer is 6.5 per 100 Grams!
13) Apple: An apple a day can offer substantial calories. Apple can be a perfect addition to any diet for a weight loss program and the presence of Flavonoids facilitate reduction of the level of LDL oxidation.How much fiber in an apple? The answer is 2.4 per 100 Grams!
14) Guava: Guava ranks at the top in the list highly fibrous foods and is an inexpensive fruit that is easily available in the market. In comparison to other fruits, a guava contains 4 times more fiber and calories beyond 30.
More High Fiber Fruits
Other Foods high in Fiber
15) Buckwheat: Belonging to the family of Polygonacea plants, it is a rich source of fiber and other essential nutrients. The dietary fiber comes with the anti-carcinogenic impacts and reduces the chance of breast cancer by up to 50%.Does buckwheat have fiber? The answer is High 10! , 10 per 100 Grams!
16) Millet: High fiber content in millets are known to minimize the chance of heart attacks. Moreover, it has the ability of increasing the blood sugar levels pretty quickly. The presence of dietary fiber clubbed with copper and iron helps in reduction of bad cholesterol while maintaining a healthy immune system.
17) Oats: The high soluble fiber in oats known as beta-glucan has the ability of reducing blood sugar levels, promoting healthy gut bacteria, increasing feeling of fullness and reducing cholesterol levels.
18) Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds comprises of 95% fiber and can help in losing weight and preventing other health ailments. It also acts as a perfect hunger suppressant which can lower blood pressure level.How much fiber in flaxseed? The answer is High 27! , 27 per 100 Grams!
19) Lentils: These are an excellent source for dietary fiber, molybdenum, copper, potassium, and folate. Regular consumption of this fiber-rich food can facilitate stabilization of blood sugar levels, weight control, and enhance the physical stamina.How much fiber in lentils? The answer is 8 per 100 Grams!
So what is your next fiber source? Comment and let us know!
- ALL Foods High In Iron List For Vegetarians And Non-Vegetarians
- List of Foods High in Calcium | Dairy/Non-Dairy, Fruits, Veggies & More
- List of Foods High In Potassium: Fruits ,Vegetables ,& Non-Vegetarians
- List of Top 17 Foods High in Magnesium : Vegetables ,Fruits & More
- List of 26 High Vitamin Foods – MUST KNOW Vitamins ,Benefits & More