Looking for High Cholesterol sources? Read this article to know everything about Foods High In Cholesterol ,Good Cholesterol ,Lowering Cholesterol ,Health Benefits & Consuming.
What is Cholesterol ?
Table Of Content:
- What is Cholesterol ?
- Sources Of Foods For Lowering Cholesterol
- How Much Cholesterol Should I Consume?
- Importance Of Consuming Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- List Of Foods High in Cholesterol (Lower Bad Cholesterol)
- Vegetables That Lower Cholesterol
- Fruits That Lower Cholesterol
- Dairy Foods Good for Lowering Cholesterol
- Dried Fruits Good For Low Cholesterol
- Non-Vegetarian Foods that Can Lower Cholesterol
- Sea Food to Lower High Cholesterol
- Other Sources/Food that Lowers Cholesterol
Cholesterol is an essential chemical compound which is required by the hormones like oestrogen and testosterone. It is even required as a building block for cell membranes. Low cholesterol diet is necessary for carrying out basic functions of the body. On the contrary, excess of the compound has tremendous side effects. About 80% of the total body’s cholesterol is produced inside the liver. Rest is consumed by the foods.
Sources Of Foods For Lowering Cholesterol
Cholesterol can be classified as good and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol lowering foods are essential for our body. Some of the common sources of high cholesterol foods include:
- Non-Vegetarian sources (meat, chicken)
- Dairy products (ghee, butter)
- Whole grains (oatmeal, brown rice)
- Vegetables and their oils (avocados, sunflower, coconut)
- Sea food (fish, prawns)
- Dried fruits and nuts
How Much Cholesterol Should I Consume?
Optimal low-density lipoprotein should be below 100 milligrams per deciliter. On the contrary, HDL or foods that lower cholesterol should be restricted to 60 milligrams per deciliter. Overall RDA for Cholesterol is 300 milligrams, but it should be our aim to keep it below 200 milligrams every day.
Importance Of Consuming Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- Source of Energy: Our body derives energy from the food we eat. Good cholesterols are important as they provide energy to our body. Lipoprotein (combination of fat and protein) carries cholesterol in the bloodstream wherever required. Many chemical reactions take place inside our body throughout the day, these reactions require energy. Cholesterol plays a vital role in supplying energy which is used in the form of ATP.
- Maintain healthy skin & tissues: Fats are responsible for maintenance of tissues and supporting their growth. Good cholesterols contain more of protein and less of fat. Such foods are essential in the development of an individual. Moreover, intake of such food enhances the growth of protein fibres.
- Forming Steroid Hormones: Formation and balance of hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen is under the control of lipoproteins. Adipose tissue even helps in producing heat inside the body. Cholesterol is the precursor of the classes of steroid hormones: progestagens, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, androgens, and estrogens. Also, formation of Bile salts takes place from cholesterol.
- Absorption of Several Vitamins: Vitamins K, Vitamin D, B12, C and E are the vitamins that play an essential role in the growth and development of our body. Absorption of such vitamins in the tissues and cells takes place through cholesterol (HDL).
- Fatty Acids: Omega 3 fatty acid is a good source of HDL and even increases the level, which helps in keeping the body fit. Improvement of the eye sight, fighting from depression and anxiety, acting as a thermo regulator in the body and healing of the wounds are some of its highlighted benefits.
List Of Foods High in Cholesterol (Lower Bad Cholesterol)
Here’s the list of foods high in cholesterol (provide good cholesterol):
|Vegetables & Fruits|
|Kidney Beans (1/2 cup)||8%|
|Meat (per ounce)||31 mg||10%|
|Chicken (liver) (per ounce)||158 mg||53%|
|Eggs (per Yolk)||184 mg||61%|
|Prawns (3 pz)||16%|
|Lobsters (3 oz)||41%|
|Liver Oils (3 oz)||27%|
Vegetables That Lower Cholesterol
1) Vegetable oils: Groundnut oils, sunflower oil and coconut oil can be considered good for skin, hair and heart. These oils provide grease to the joints and help in maintaining adequate cholesterol levels. It is necessary to have them in a moderate amount.
2) Olive oil: Olive oil can also be referred as the magical oil. People going for weight loss programs are suggested to substitute edible oils with olive oil. It contains good cholesterol that keeps your skin healthy and glowing. Olive oil is also a great boon for nails and hair fibres.
3) Brown rice: Good cholesterol present in brown rice helps to fight unhealthy cholesterol levels, stress, mental depression and skin disorders. It also helps in maintaining a proper digestive system.
4) Flaxseeds: Ground flaxseeds are often an ingredient to several mouth-watering recipes. The ultimate program for fat loss starts by adding flaxseed in your chart. It contains omega 3 fatty acids which makes it a heart healthy food.
5) Kidney beans: Kidney beans are packed with fibres, proteins and HDL. This food can keep you fuller for a long time. They are also good for skin and digestive system besides providing essential energy and nutrients to the body.
Fruits That Lower Cholesterol
6) Pears: Apart from being tasty, they consist of essential good cholesterols. It acts as an antioxidant, highly packed with vitamins and minerals which are important for an optimum health. It is also considered to be a highly fibrous fruit.
7) Apple: Rightly said, “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. The good cholesterol levels active in this fruit keeps you fuller for a long period of time. It also helps in restricted blood flow and is good for your heart too.
8) Avocado: Avocados can be a great addition to your diet as it consists of good fats which makes it a rich source of HDL (good cholesterol). Heart patients are often suggested to have avocados. The fruit consists of dietary fibers which are essential for improving the eyesight too.
Dairy Foods Good for Lowering Cholesterol
9) Cheese: Although it is high in fats, it is definitely one of those foods that lower cholesterol levels. It is even considered to be a good source of protein. Moderated intake of cheese provides a good amount of energy.
10) Yogurt: Apart from being a good source of proteins, it is listed among foods that lower high cholesterol. The food mainly hits the digestive system and protein fibers. Yogurt is even used for cosmetic purposes as well.
11) Milk: Milk consists of good proportion of cholesterols which helps in reducing the level of cholesterol in the blood. This reduces the risk of coronary artery diseases and is even beneficial for bones, teeth, muscles and hair fibers.
Dried Fruits Good For Low Cholesterol
12) Almond: It is considered to be one of the healthiest dry fruits containing omega 3 fatty acids. Featured among good foods to lower cholesterol, it aides in weight loss besides being beneficial for digestive and nervous systems.
13) Peanut: Cholesterols in peanut butter provides greasing to the joints. It is an ultimate source of protein as well. The good cholesterols present in the nuts supports weight loss and destroys bad cholesterol.
14) Walnuts: Filled with heart healthy fats, this nut is beneficial for the skin, brain, hair and heart. It is also filled with high dietary fibres. Walnuts contain HDL adequately which reduces the risk of cancer and heart diseases. However, it is important to have it in a moderate amount.
Non-Vegetarian Foods that Can Lower Cholesterol
15) Meat: Since meat consists of lipoprotein, it keeps the body warm. Rich in vitamins and minerals, this food helps in building and repairing of muscles and tissues respectively. Moreover, meat helps in breaking down of the fat and transportation of haemoglobin.
16) Chicken: This protein rich food is also listed among good foods to lower high cholesterol. It moderates the cholesterol in the body and aides in weight loss as well. There’s a reduced risk of cancer, besides having the ability to control your blood pressure. It is probably a staple in your diet and is considered to be a lean protein.
17) Egg: Egg contains decent amount of vitamins and minerals. The food is rich in selenium ,proteins and calcium. HDL present in the food is a good source for all your hair problems, skin disorders and uncontrolled level of blood pressure.
Sea Food to Lower High Cholesterol
18) Prawns: Prawns are high in essential fats and proteins. The food is rich with minerals, calcium, phosphorous, vitamins (mainly A and E) and omega 3 fatty acids. Controlling of cholesterol levels is done by prawns and they offer protection against coronary artery diseases.
19) Lobsters: Lobsters are an excellent foods to lower your cholesterol. It also contains copper, magnesium and cholesterol. It is always suggested to have the food in moderation and is known to have excellent healing powers.
20) Liver oils: Liver oils are bulk of vitamin D, omega 3 fatty acids and minerals. Liver oils contain good cholesterol abundantly and is generally used as a dietary supplement. They help in controlling blood pressure and can even reduce the risk of heart diseases.
Other Sources/Food that Lowers Cholesterol
21) Alcohol: Having it in a less amount is miraculous, but too much may give rise too many disorders. A glass of red wine or two keeps all the heart disease away. Studies show that people having moderate amount of alcohol may stay away from high cholesterol problems.