Table Of Content:
What is Prozac withdrawal?
Prozac belongs to the category of medicines known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It is used as an anti depressant to treat major depression, anxiety, etc. It works by blocking the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain and presence of serotonin in larger quantities for a longer period of time causes stability in mood and relaxes the individual. In case of prolonged usage, there is a tendency of an addiction to develop. In such a scenario, when an individual wants to get rid of the addiction he/she finds it difficult to cope with an absence of the drug in their system. This is because the brain is used to functioning in the presence of the drug and the process is termed as Prozac Withdrawal.
Prozac Withdrawal Symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Crying spells
- Emotional numbing
- Memory loss
- Inability to concentrate
- Night sweats
- Panic attacks
- Muscle pain
- Mood swings
- Suicidal thoughts
- Inability to concentrate
- Stomach pain
- A thorough evaluation of the patient’s medical history must be known to ensure that correct treatment is given.
- Psychological reasons for the use of the drug such as depression and anxiety must be known.
- Tests should be conducted to know the toxins affecting the patient.
- Complete knowledge about the consumption patterns related to the patient’s use of the drug.
- SSRI discontinuation syndrome or Prozac withdrawal symptoms are at its peak during the 1st week which is why a gradual reduction of the dosage is recommended. Sudden stoppage should never be the approach.
- Emotional support from family and friends is important to motivate the patient to give up on the addiction.
- Consume foods rich in Omega 3 oil as they can help in improving depression. Eating fish will improve the energy levels and addition of foods that are rich in magnesium can also help to counter the intensity of impact.
- Exercise Regularly to reduce the effect of Prozac withdrawal. It is also advised to stay away from caffeine, alcohol and other sugary foods or drinks. Adopting good dietary habits on the other hand with small yet healthier food items can improve the energy levels.
- Intake of different herbs can also be effective to alleviate Prozac withdrawals. It includes citrus, polyala, gingseng, fu-shen, etc.
- Avoid use of the drug unless it has been prescribed.
- Avoid use of the drug in quantities or in a manner other than what has been prescribed.
- Use alternative medications to ease withdrawal symptoms before stopping its use.
How long does it take to detox from Prozac?
There is no established timeline for complete withdrawal of Prozac.However, on average mild conditions can subside in a period of 3 to 6 months. However, it must be understood that Prozac remains in the system for a longer time as it has a longer half-life.