What is Klonopin withdrawal?
Klonopin is an anxiolytic drug and is used treat seizures and panic disorders. It is also taken to control body and brain functions related to anxiety and stress. It slows down the heart rate, blood pressure and calms emotional disturbances by increasing the level of gamma amino-butyric acid in the brain.
After constant intake, the brain gets used to the effect of the medication on the chemicals present in the brain. Over a period of time, this might eventually lead to the development of an addiction. When an individual tries to give up on this addiction, the brain cannot adjust to a sudden absence of the medication and the condition is termed as klonopin withdrawal.Image source via commons wikimedia
Klonopin Withdrawal Symptoms
- Increased blood pressure
- Impaired respiration
- Drug cravings
- Mood swings
- Lack of motivation
- Short term memory lapses
- Stomach pain
- Blurred vision
- Muscle spasm
- Knowledge of patient’s medical history is essential to chart a correct procedure for the treatment.
- Knowledge of the patient’s use of the medication in terms of frequency and dosage is also taken into the account.
- Psychiatric consultation may be able to reveal the reason for the use of the drug.
- Inpatient & outpatient rehabilitation centers combine therapy with medications for Klonopin detoxification.
- Recovery plans are devised for addressing individual needs and circumstances
- Group counseling is provided at both inpatient and outpatient clinics. This is primarily effective because it offers a safe as well as a supportive environment to share concerns, role-playing scenarios and adopting stress management techniques.
- Adequate sleep and a healthy diet needs to be adopted
- Indulgence in other activities helps to shift attention away from the addiction and lowers chances of cravings.
- Consulting a psychiatrist in order to talk about problems leading to stress and anxiety is also helpful.
- A doctor must be consulted as soon as a pattern of dependence is observed.
- Patients must avoid stressful and depressing thoughts to avoid cravings for the drug.
- Emotional support and encouragement by loved ones is important to motivate individuals to get rid of the addiction.
How long does it take for klonopin to detox?
Klonopin’s withdrawal symptoms can last over 90 days, but the exact duration varies from a person to the other. Speaking about the timeline, severe symptoms such as anxiety and mood swings are predominately visible for the 1st 3 days. Moreover, for the next two weeks, the symptoms of withdrawal are at its peak. Cold turkey quitters often experience intense body tremors, seizures and hallucinations. The next two weeks see the symptoms fading away while still being visible for a period of two months.