What is Gabapentin or Neurontin Withdrawal?
Neurontin is used to treat nerve pain, seizures, restless leg syndrome, migraine, pain management and alcohol dependence. It is an anticonvulsant medication that influences the natural chemicals in the brain known as neurotransmitters by changing the way the brain responds to pain signals. Frequent use when it is not prescribed may lead to the brain getting dependent on it. Hence, the brain is unable to cope with a sudden absence and reacts by exhibiting Gabapentin or neurontin withdrawal.Image Source: drugs.com Image Source: drugs.com
Neurontin Withdrawal Symptoms & Side Effects
- Sensitivity to light
- Excessive sweating
- Rapid heart rate and heart palpitations
- Inability to move
- Continuous seizures may be fatal
- Information about the method of intake is required
- Dosage and frequency of the use of the medication must be established
- Thorough check of the individual’s medical background
- Lab tests must be conducted to know the type of toxin affecting the brain and body
- Psychological assessment should be made to know the underlying reasons
- Heart Disorders
- Damage to kidney
- Damage to liver
- Slurred speech
- Double vision
As of now, the medication for neurotin withdrawal has not been found. However, certain options are available for treating the condition:
- Detox: Patients are advised to undergo detoxification process or rehabilitation facilities.
- Tapering: Weaning off its intake gradually rather than suddenly stopping its consumption. This is done to avoid chances of relapsing to the addiction.
- Psychological effects: Talking to a psychiatrist during this period of withdrawal may prove beneficial as it helps the patient to gain moral support and encouragement to give up the addiction.
- Personalized treatment: Understand the level of dependence for determining the treatment process accordingly. Moreover, some factors are specific to individuals and the required treatment must be added in the process.
- Avoid use of the medication unless it has been prescribed
- Consult a doctor in case a pattern of dependence is observed
- Ask the doctor to prescriber alternatives for the medication in case a pattern of dependency is observed
- Avoid intake of the medicine in any manner other than the way it has been prescribed
How long does it take to detox from neurontin?
Neurontin withdrawal will be experienced within 12 – 48 hours from the last consumption of the medication. However, time taken for complete detox of the drug from the body varies from a person to another.