What is Paxil Withdrawal?
Paxil is a drug that belongs to the category of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It is an antidepressant which is used to treat generalized anxiety disorder. It also prevents the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. This causes the serotonin to stay longer as its transfer from one nerve to the other is prevented. When serotonin remains inside the brain for a longer period of time, it helps in providing relief from depression. Due to this effect the drug proves to be addictive for many people. The brain too is accustomed to function in its presence. Hence, when the person tries to quit it or undergoes paxil withdrawal, they find it difficult to cope with a sudden absence of the drug.
Paxil Withdrawal Symptoms
- Vivid dreams
- Blurred vision
- Decreased appetite
- Crying spells dizziness
- Electric shocks
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings
- Panic attacks
- Suicidal thoughts
- Lack of concentration
- Slowed thinking
- Severe depression
- Flu-like symptoms
- Tests should be done to know the toxins affecting the health of the patient.
- Medical history of the person must be known to choose the most suited method of treatment.
- Psychological reasons for the use of the drug can be known by consulting a psychiatrist.
- The doctor must have knowledge of the patient’s method of intake of the drug.
- Patterns of consumption related to dosage and frequency of consumption should also be known.
- Lower the use of the drug gradually.
- Group therapy is helpful to acquire motivation by speaking to those who are in rehabilitation or have been able to get rid of the addiction.
- Psychiatric help can be given to overcome feelings of stress and depression.
- Alternatives to the medication can be prescribed to make the body comfortable with the change.
- Must be surrounded by family and friends to provide emotional support and encouragement.
- Divert their attention to other day to day and recreational activities to avoid thinking about the addiction.
- Avoid the use of the medication unless it has been prescribed.
- Use medication to ease the withdrawal symptoms.
- Consult a doctor as soon as a pattern of dependence is observed.
How long does it take for paxil detox?
It takes an approximately 90 days or 3 months for the withdrawal process to be completed. Time taken for detoxification depends in the level of dependence on the drug. The initial days after the withdrawal would be characterized by panic situations and anxiety. However, over time with the right set of treatments the symptoms will ease off considerably. In case of this drug, 100% withdrawal can be achieved over a period of time.